Friday, June 10, 2011

The Serial Comma

Well this is something I've been meaning to do for awhile.

As an editor by trade, I've tried my best to make writing my hobby. Now hey, I love what I do. But I've found that if you make your passion something you do on the side, it doesn't become work. It doesn't become monotonous. Instead, you look forward to it. You work to make it happen.

So, it would be a lie to say I haven't blogged before, just at the time I didn't know it was blogging -- I thought it was spilling my guts on my livejournal. And when I stumbled across my old (semi) teenage thoughts, I was inspired to start over. I'm hoping to achieve the same level of frankness here, minus the overarching tone of adolescent melodrama.

Now, for a little background: I moved to the Cambridge/Somerville area just outside Boston about six months ago. Since then, life has been exponentially better than it was in the bowels of suburban hell from whence I came. 

I'm planning on this blog being about me -- the reformed country mouse -- and my life in the big city. Check here for my take on everything I love: places/events around Boston, great food, exciting new places, and friends old and new. For example, I'm planning (you'll see I like planning) on going to a museum every weekend... this weekend will be a surprise. And I'm sure photography and anything I am writing about will slip in there too.


The blog's title, The Serial Comma, points to the fact that this is my ongoing little writing project, which of course may morph with my passing fancy. More important -- as the subtitle alludes to -- the serial comma is more commonly known as the Oxford comma, and sometimes known as the Harvard comma. One is a nod to my employer, the other my favorite place in the world -- I'll leave it up to you to decide which is which.


Now if I can only find that damned em-dash in this template, we'll be all set.


Upward and onward!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Blogger, Meg! You have posted some great stories and pics.

    I've been following all of the serial comma discussions on Twitter this week. It made me think of you! And the Vampire Weekend song. Haha.

    ReplyDelete